Smoked Salmon Rolls with Cream Cheese and Red Onion Dip
Another great recipe from the lovely Neven Maguire. Perfect for Christmas! Use as a light starter or as a snack for when friends pop by.
- 75g (3oz) soft cream cheese
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 350g (12oz) pre-sliced smoked salmon
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 8 large slices wheaten bread
- 1 lemon
- 25g (1oz) wild rocket
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the red onion in a small bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover, then drain off immediately. This softens the raw flavour of the onion.
- Return the red onion to the bowl and add the cream cheese, creme fraiche and chives. Season to taste and mix well to combine.
- On a sheet of clingfilm, place three overlapping slices of smoked salmon. Spread the cream cheese mixture a few millimetres thick over the top of the salmon, right out to the edges. Roll up into a neat sausage shape. Repeat this process with the remaining slices and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Using a straight-sided scone cutter that is about 5cm (2in) in diameter, cut out two rounds from each slice of wheaten bread.
- Slice each chilled smoked salmon roll into four small rounds and lay each roll sideways on a bread round. Place four rounds on each plate.
Garnish with some lemon rind and rocket leaves. Serve with lemon slices.
This Smoked Salmon Rolls with Cream Cheese and Red Onion Dip recipe uses the following ingredients from our range: